Re: Proposal: --with-gdb-interpreter=... --interpreter=...

   Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:38:33 +1000
   From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>

   We're now starting to see the situtation where GDB can support multiple
   interpreters.  At present there is GDB's traditional CLI, the TUI (from
   HP) and TCL/TK.  We've had many threads of Python, Perl, Java, Visual
   Basic and evey guile interpreters comming in down the track.

   What I'd like to do is set in motion  change that should greatly
   simplify the integration of various interpreters.  Accordingly I'd like
   to propose the following changes:

Of course I think this is a great idea!  It occurs to me that the
situation is very similar to that in GCC, where the language-specific
frontends live in subdirs.  It's not identical, because each frontend
results in a distinct executable (cc1plus, etc), while for GDB we'd
rather end up with a single debugger, but the configury and makefile
fragment ideas could be useful to learn from.

								Stan