Re: problems with the "target" part..

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, James Ingham wrote:

> Rune,
>
> Could you send what host & target you are trying to run on, and
> also an example session that fails for you.
The host is powerpc-unkown-linu-gnu, that is a machine with a PowerPC cpu
(603e) running LinuxPPC.

ok... I'll do a little textmode session.. :

--------------------------- snip --------------------
[root@hybel91 src]# gdb dbtest
GNU gdb 20000117
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) target exec dbtest
(gdb) run
Starting program: /root/src/dbtest
Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".
(gdb) target sim
Connected to the simulator.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /root/src/dbtest
warning: No program loaded.
No program loaded
(gdb)
------------------------------ snip ----------------------------

maybe you think I'm stupid and stuff... well.. I hope not..

anyway... I've used the regular gdb earlier, and to tell you the truth it
was straight forward.. that's not the case now...
(because then the program expected that you would run the program on the
machine you were using)

I guess the simulator is meant for something else... well.. I tried it
since this was one of the options without serial line/tcp-ip connection...
(I didn't find a load command)

anyway.. I guess it's the 'exec' target I should go for...

I *did* provide target exec with an existing exe file.. (if not it
would have complained)...

and... I *did* get a lot of non-critical errors when compiling... lots of
variables that wasn't used and stuff like that..

even when I just do "gdb dbtest" (from bash that is)... and after that
"run".. it shows me the same error... (the normal gdb would have started
to run the program)

I think it would have been WISE to set as default, that the program should
be run/debugged on the machine that gdb is running on..

I have a certain feeling that the average programmer normally debugs his
code on the machine dgb is actually running on...

(I'm *not* trying to be rude)

thanks for actually reading my mail!

---
Rune Elvemo	---	Octagon / Digital Minds