Tk/Tcl problem in insight

I am trying to do something with insight & tcl/tk and cannot seem to
get anywhere.

Here's what I have done:

a)  downloaded the insight-20000309 snapshot,

b)  unpacked, configured, unstalled etc, like this:
    [host: redhat linux 6.1, intel]

	./configure -prefix=/home/duane/test

	make

	make install

  Builds fine.

d) cd to the 'bin' directory where it installed
   the 'gdb' executable so I can run it.

    cd /home/duane/test/bin

    ./gdb

e) Gdb starts up - no problem.

   Click on the "C:>" prompt

f) type the following:

	tk set foobar "Hello, world"

   Responds with 'Hello, world'

g) type the following:

	tk puts $foobar

   And it does not work, I get

	Error: can't read "foobar": no such variable

What am I doing wrong?

... Now the [real] problem ....

I really have a tcl script that interacts with a custom simulator that
I wrote, and I cannot get it to work, I get the same basic errors and
problems.

I thought - ok - get the latest version in it's 'virgin' state - and
try a very simple little test with *JUST* two commands.

--Duane.