Re: `dir'

Tom,
 > I hope I'm not being too annoying.  I figure you'd probably rather I
 > report things.

Yup, totally!

 > I couldn't find a way to add a search directory (gdb "dir" command)
 > via the GUI.

This one should be easy.  I didn't do it before 'cause I didn't know
there was a directory chooser in libgui.  This is one of the silly
omissions of Tk, it has a choose file and a save file, but no choose
directory dialog.  Actually, there is a choose directory in Tk8.3,
though it is plug-ugly (except on the Mac, where it uses the very nice
Navigation Services dialogs...)  But I was poking my nose in libgui,
and noted the tantelizing tclgetdir.c file...

I will get to this at some point, since I agree it is annoying, but if
some enterprising soul wants to try their hand first, cool!

 > Invariably what happens (either with command-line or GUI) is that I
 > don't remember that I need to use "dir" until I move into a stack
 > frame where the source isn't found.
 >
 > I'd really like it if adding a directory via "dir" caused the source
 > window to update if appropriate.  This would make Insight much nicer
 > than the command line (where I currently use "up ; down" to make it do
 > what I want -- lose).

I am more likely to add the GUI, and have that do the right thing,
than add another hook to the CL.  Actually, it would be nice to just
have a generic pre or post processing hook in ALL the commands
executed by the gdb command interpreter, so you wouldn't have to go
add the hooks into the C code to do this sort of thing.  I guess we
could add this to the console, but it might be cleaner to put it in
the command interpreter.  I will poke around a bit, it might already
be there for all I know...

 > Note that with Insight, the up/down trick currently doesn't work.
 > Once it can't find the file, it seems to get confused.

Yes, I know about this one.  This will take some work in the
SrcTextWin code to fix, which is a bit contorted, to be polite...

Jim

--
Jim Ingham                                              jingham@cygnus.com