Re: How to block local variables?

Leon,

 > At 11:29 24/04/00 -0700, you wrote:
 > >Leon,
 > >
 > >You are right about how Insight updates local variables.  The only
 > >way to stop this is to close the local variables window.  You can use
 > >the Watch window to selectively watch particular variables instead.
 >          Jim, please, excuse me to return to this, but the window was
 > closed and all my experiments show (I know that this may be incorrect, but
 > still...) that the window is updated (or the corresponding data is
 > retrieved?) even been closed. May it be?
 >          Once more, excuses.

No excuses necessary...  If this is true, it is definitely a bug, but
I don't think that it is true.  One way to tell is to open the console
and do:

tk info commands var*

all the variables that Insight creates are represented at the Tcl
level by variable access commands, and their names are always of the
form varN or varN.elem where N is an integer, and elem is the name of
a structure element, in the case where varN represents a structure
that is opened.  If there are spurious variable objects lying around,
then Insight would try to fetch values for them.  But I don't see this
happening on my copy...

Other things that can slow the processing of stepping down over a slow
connection are the stack window (since you have to do a complete stack
crawl at each step to reconstruct this) and the memory window.  The
register window is usually not a big deal, since in most ports gdb
fetches all the registers on each stop anyway.

Hope this helps,

Jim