Re: Insight exits abrupt when trying to view in ASM or MIXED mode.

Paul_Heijman@eu.omron.com wrote:

> Does this sound familiar to anyone:
>
> I am using Insight to remote-debug a 68000 microcontroller.
> Almost everything works perfect. After loading the .cof file into GDB, I can
> step through the (C) source code.
> When I try to view the ASSEMBLY code (in ASSEMBLY or MIXED view mode),
> Insight closes without any error message!
>
> I have seen the assembly / mixed mode view working earlier, but then I
> wasn't able to view the C source code. I think I solved it by upgrading
> to a newer version of cygwin1.dll.

 This 'feature' isn't related to only Cygwin, also the Linux and Mingw hosts
have had problems (probably all hosts). I found first the 'mips64*' targets
not being able to show the assembly... This is really a '2k'-problem, when
it appeared during December-1999 - January-2000... Later it started to show
with all targets somehow... But normally one sees only that single-stepping
in the 'src+asm' display doesn't update the display... Not as bad as you
have described... BTW, I reported this problem with the 'mips64*' targets
in January-February in this maillist. No response from anyone, so if I'll
find a cure for it, perhaps there is no reason to tell anyone else but you,
when this 'feature' doesn't seem to hurt anyone else but me and you...

 I really will try to fix these problems with the assembly not showing with
the 'mips64*' targets and the single-stepping not updating the display with
any targets... But it may take some time, because I just haven't cared if the
current snapshots work or not, when the older ones do work... But adopting
new things from the new sources to the old working sources has started to
be quite hard...

> I now have tried several latest versions of the DLL, but it doesn't make a
> difference.Does anyone know of a solution?

 I have stayed using the '19991116'-snapshots, (sometimes spying if the
current snapshots have cured the 'features' -- the '20000425' and '20000502'
ones at least weren't...). To get the single-stepping to work, I had to
take still older scripts (19990727) in use...

 BTW, you could try my downloadable 'm68k-elf' and 'm68k-palmos-coff'
Insights for the Mingw host... They are gdb-4.18-based, and if I don't
remember it wrong, someone recently claimed it being impossible to build
gdb-4.18 based Insights, and also the Mingw-host has been doomed as
impossible for a long time... But perhaps I'm too stupid to believe when
the 'wise' men claim these things... Not knowing any better, I even dared
to build ten or more Win3.1x/Win32s-hosted Insights (What a sin this must
be...). Ok, please see 'http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ankosk2/embtools.htm'...

Cheers, Kai