Re: Insight on Windows NT w/cygwin

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:57:57PM -0400, MWCruess@cs.com wrote:
>I have am having trouble building a working version of Insight for a
>Windows NT host.  Insight builds, but when I run it nothing appears to
>happen.  I just get a shell prompt.  When I use the -nw option the
>command line interface seems to work fine.
>
>I downloaded and installed a completely new cygwin environment a few
>days ago.  The binary of gdb/insight that comes with cygwin works,
>although debugging the binary that I built gives odd results.  The
>program under debug will suddenly exit with no indication of what
>happened.  When single-stepping I have seen a function entered with the
>return statement highlighted, then one more step causes an earlier
>statement to be highlighted.  The behavior changes from run to run on
>the same binary.  This has me wondering if I have a compiler problem.

I've just uploaded a new gdb binary to cygwin/latest/gdb.  I don't know
if it will work any better for you but what you are describing sounds
like standard behavior when attempting to debug a program that was
compiled with -O and -g.  If you drop the optimization from your compiles
I'll bet things will work better.

The problem of gdb returning silently to the windows prompt is usually
due to an inability to find init.tcl in any of the standard places that
gdb normally searches.  I have recently checked in a patch which should
make gdb a little smarter, at least with regard to standard cygwin
locations for this file.  This is in CVS now, is also in the source tar
ball on sourceware, and should show up in the next gdb/insight snapshot.

>If any of this sounds familiar, I would appreciate some advice.  The
>Solaris version built first time and runs great, but I don't have much
>experience with the Windows system.

If you have further problems the people at the cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
mailing list will probably be able to offer more insight.  No pun
intended.

cgf