Re: Fixing Insight: Can setup.exe pick and choose latest binaries for me?

Dave Arnold wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> ok, so I should get:
>     *new cygwin.dll
>     *new tcl .dll's
>     *new gdb

The tcl dll's will come with cygwin.  These are the ones that have the fix
to get the "\"s right.

You onlyb need a new gdb for doing cross platform debugging (e.g., debugging an
ARM board from a gdb running on your Windows machine).  For native debugging the
gdb that comes with cygwin works fine.

> I think I've seen gdb as a complete downloadable package and cygwin.dll as
> a separate download but what about the tcl stuff.  Does it come with the gdb
> package? or do I have to get that separately?  Can setup.exe pick and choose
> for me? so I don't have to do alot of browsing?

See above.

Get the complete cygwin. It comes with gdb native.  If you want to do remote
debugging and want the GUI, get the packet that starts with insight- not the
one that starts with gdb- (the second one is CLI only).

> It's still a bit confusing to me to determine what versions of what to
> download.
> I'm afraid of mixing things up and causing more problems.  How do I find out
> what versions of what will mix with what I currently have, so I don't have
> to download
> everything all over again?

Well, I agree.  It is still not as automatic as it should be.  I will mention this
to some people.

What I try to do is to keep everything I got from the cygwin installation unless some
very compelling reason forces me to do otherwise.

> I'm surprised that I dont have the fixed dll's because I downloaded
> everything
> using setup.exe about 2 weeks ago, oh well.

I guess you must have missed it by a day or two.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd.                     E-Mail:  fnasser@cygnus.com