Re: .gdbinit initialization and GUI...

Paul Breed wrote:

> I want to write a GDB script that
> loads a specific symbol table and the connects to the
> (already running) target. I can easily do this with
> GDB, but when the Insight GUI gets involved things
> don't work like you expect.

I would expect some runtime differences when using a script. There are
still quite a few disconnects between the GUI and the "command line"...

> How do I tell the GUI that GDB has already connected
> the target so it won't try to connect again when I hit
> the run button?

Simple. Using the target dialog, click the "more options" button to
reveal the hidden pane. The options here are the default actions taken
when the user presses the Run button. Simply turn off "Download" and
"Attach" and keep "Continue".

> Also the GUI sometimes gets confused and puts up the
> hourglass when it should not, is there any way to
> reset this?

If you have a console window open, you can enter the command "tk
gdbtk_idle". This will make the GUI "idle" (ready for user input).
Whenever the GUI is "busy" like this (and it shouldn't be), it means
that an error happened within the depths of gdb and GUI didn't check for
it/expect it. If you open a debug window, you might be able to find out
why this is happening and stop it altogether. (Set environment variable
"GDBTK_DEBUG" > 1 to open a debug window. Set it to 1 to allow it to be
opened via the "Windows" menu.)