Re: TODO list (REPOST)

On 11 Oct 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Fernando> Yes, that is the idea.  A modification in Mo's patch that
> Fernando> will default to -w if the name contains "insight" and to -nw
> Fernando> otherwise would do that.
>
> The GNU Coding Standards ask that the program's behavior not depend on
> the name of the program:
>
>        Please don't make the behavior of a utility depend on the name used
>     to invoke it.  It is useful sometimes to make a link to a utility with
>     a different name, and that should not change what it does.
>
> Tom

If we just call it "insight", then there will be no problem with hiding
the regular command line gdb when the user runs gdb from the PATH.
I would say this alone is reason enough to call it insight
and nothing else. Does anyone have any good reasons for
calling it gdb? I am all for giving credit to the Gnu
project, I just think we have confused people long
enough by calling it gdb.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc