Icons for windows...

I have a bug report requesting that all windows have
appropriate icons added to them so they can be seen
as what they are when iconized.

This turns out not to be so obvious to me.  I've spent
the last day or so studying the wm command in all its
myriad permutations and I see no reasonable way to do
this.  wm iconbitmap . <foo> requires a bitmap, and not
only do we not have any bitmaps of the likely icons at
handy (they are gif files in images/) but even if we did,
they would be limited to two colors, which seems rather
unsatisfactory.

I took a look at creating a gif image on a canvas and
using wm iconwindow . <pathname>, but this only works
for wm's that actually bother to create an icon - wm's
like kwm like to scale the window icon for use in things
like the open window menu or the taskbar, and that seems
not to work well.

Anyone have any ideas for a more satisfactory solution
to this?  I'd hate to waste too much time on it (or to
spend much time creating bitmap icons) since it's not a
major feature, but I don't like to walk away from the
idea, it's a worthwhile idea.

--
 .-.    .-. .---. .---. .-..-. | "Bill Gates is just a monocle
 | |__ / | \| |-< | |-<  >  /  | and a Persian Cat away from
 `----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-'   | being one of the bad guys in a
       My opinions only.       | James Bond movie." -- D Miller