Re: Register types

Larry Smith wrote:

> Fernando Nasser wrote:
>
> > Larry Smith wrote:
>
> > > Question: given the list of register names used to display
> > > the register window, and bearing in mind how these names
> > > vary from processor to processor, how can one tell which
> > > are floating point registers and which are not?
>
> > Registers have types as anything else in gdb.  There is a macro
> > called REGISTER_VIRTUAL_TYPE that will give you that information.
>
> That doesn't appear in any *.itb or *ith.
> Is this macro exported to the tcl code anywhere?
> If not, is there a recommended way to retrieve it?

Look at the generic subdirectory.  This part is written in C.

> > Any particular reason for the question?
>
> Working on a bug report requesting that floating point
> registers default to decimal rather than hex.

No, they should default to "natural".  I think they do unless you have something
on the contrary on your preferences file. If the original default for registers is
not "natural" anymore it must be changed back.

GDB will "print" them for us in the right format.  We don't want to mess with
types and languages specific in the Insight code.

That sounds like an user error.  There must be entries in their preferences file.

And if they change the registers to "natural" and cleanly exit Insight that default
should persist.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com