Re: Register types

Larry Smith wrote:

> > > Working on a bug report requesting that floating point
> > > registers default to decimal rather than hex.
>
> > No, they should default to "natural".  I think they do unless you have something
> > on the contrary on your preferences file. If the original default for registers is
> > not "natural" anymore it must be changed back.
>
> In "RegWin::init_reg_display_vars." there is this:
>
>     # All registers shall be considered editable
>     # and non-typed until proved otherwise
>     set reg_display($rn,typed) 0
>     set reg_display($rn,editable) 0
>
>     # If user has no preference, show register in hex (if we can)
>     set format [pref getd gdb/reg/$name-format]
>     if {$format == ""} { set format x }
>     set reg_display($rn,format) $format
>
> This appears to force all regs to display in hex
> unless told otherwise.

I guess this was done because people prefer the General Purpose register to be
shown in hex, not in decimal (they are integers, so their natural format would
be decimal).  I vaguely remember the default being natural in some ancient times.

This will be fixed when "register groups" are in place, as they will give us
information about how things should be displayed.  It is not a good idea to
put some weird hack in place when all the user has to do is to change the
FP register formats to whatever they want.  The format will "stick" between
debugger sessions.  So I suggest you dismiss this one or make it an enhancement
request (this is not even close to a bug).

Are we running out of real bugs?  This looks good!

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com