RFC: Option to have the Source Window controls at the top

I would like to add an option to allow users to have the Source Window
"control" bar at the top, instead of at the bottom.   The default would
remain as it is today (at least for now).

It is internally known as "status bar" (while the line with
help and status messages is the "status line") but it actually controls
what is shown in the text widget of the Source Window.  It may have been
just a status when it was originally created, but it is now more of a
control bar and some users (like me) may prefer it to be together with
the menu and toolbar.

This arrangement matches SourceNavigator better and for people that use
both it is quite disconcerting having two different approaches to the
same
type of selection (I am talking about the comboboxes in SourceNav that
select the function to show, last string searched etc -- if you don't
know
what I am talking about you are missing a great software: SourceNav is
really cool).

Also, the fact that the comboboxes are at the bottom of the window also
becomes very unnatural, behaves different depending on the host (I even
have some bug reports for that).

This bar does have the "search/download progress" indicator on the right
side.  I can pack it with the "status line" on the bottom when the
controls
are at the top if you think it is more convenient.

I have to agree that the Source Window looks more cute with the source
control bar on the bottom (maybe it is a question of taste), but it does
work much better with the controls at the top (again, it may be just a
personal preference).

I can leave the default as it is now, change it to the top option or
even
make it fixed at the top.  But I would like to have the option of having
it
at a more sensible place.

Opinions?