Insight 5.0 on Linux

Hi Insight team,

I have two questions, both of which are probably FAQ, but I couldn't find
an FAQ on your web site so I've got to ask them.

1) I'm trying to upgrade my existing Linux (Slackware 7.0) system to use
Insight 5.0. It seems that the distribution comes with a bunch of stuff
that I already have and in some cases have more recent versions of (e.g. I
have tcl 8.0.5 installed, the distribution comes with tcl 8.0.4). I'm
reluctant to install over these existing versions, particularly if it
means going backwards in version numbers, so I'd like to use what I've
already got, but the confgure/make doesn't seem to use what I have. Is
there an easy way to just build and install the new gdb executable (and
corresponding documentation etc.), and be informed if I'm missing anything
else. (Isn't this the way configure usually works?)

2) Having built successfully, but not installed, I've tested it in my the
build directory. It seems to work fine if I start it in a (bash) shell in
the foreground, but if I background the process (i.e., "gdb <file> &"),
when I click the 'run' icon it loops forever. (The first statement in the
program I'm debugging is of the form 'cout << "This program ...', if that's
important.)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dennis Peters

Dennis K. Peters, Ph.D., P.Eng.            | dpeters@engr.mun.ca
Faculty of Engineering & Applied Science   | http://www.engr.mun.ca/~dpeters
Memorial University of Newfoundland        | Ph: (709) 737-8929
St. John's, NF  Canada  A1B 3X5            | Fax: (709) 737-4042