Re: Insight 5.0 on Linux

"Dennis K. Peters" wrote:

> Hi Insight team,
>
> I have two questions, both of which are probably FAQ, but I couldn't find
> an FAQ on your web site so I've got to ask them.

Yes, the FAQ is overdue.  We may have it on-line before the end of February.

> 1) I'm trying to upgrade my existing Linux (Slackware 7.0) system to use
> Insight 5.0. It seems that the distribution comes with a bunch of stuff
> that I already have and in some cases have more recent versions of (e.g. I
> have tcl 8.0.5 installed, the distribution comes with tcl 8.0.4). I'm
> reluctant to install over these existing versions, particularly if it
> means going backwards in version numbers, so I'd like to use what I've
> already got, but the confgure/make doesn't seem to use what I have. Is
> there an easy way to just build and install the new gdb executable (and
> corresponding documentation etc.), and be informed if I'm missing anything
> else. (Isn't this the way configure usually works?)

You can't do that yet.  The versions that come with the GNU tree have fixes that
were not incorporated by the Tcl folks.  Things are changed though and we may
lift this restriction this year.

When you configure you can specify the directory where you want thingd to
be installed.  The default is /usr/local but you can change it.

<source dir>/configure --prefix=/local/insight

When you run make install files will go into   /local/insight/bin
/local/insight/share etc.

Just add /loca/insight/bin to your PATH.

> 2) Having built successfully, but not installed, I've tested it in my the
> build directory. It seems to work fine if I start it in a (bash) shell in
> the foreground, but if I background the process (i.e., "gdb <file> &"),
> when I click the 'run' icon it loops forever. (The first statement in the
> program I'm debugging is of the form 'cout << "This program ...', if that's
> important.)

Yes, someone has reported that background is broken.  It is a GDB problem that
affects us.  I believe we have this entry in the bug database already.
We need some volunteer to fix that (I will eventually do it myself when I find
some time).

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com