Insight info?

Folks,

    I am a complete novice in this area. I have started working
on a GDB to debug a remote target. Any advice on the following
will be greatly appreciated. I am working with Version 4.18.

    1. Is there any documentation on the overall code structure?
    2. What is the best approach to understand how all the pieces
fit together?
    3. What is a good book to read on the Tcl/Tk?
    4. How can debug remote target? I did "set remotedebug 1" in
the console window. I thought that this was supposed to display
all the serial port transactions, but I did not see any. I also did
"set serialdebug 1" and "set remotedebug 1", but these did not seem
to have any effect either.
    5. Where can I find the implementations of utilities like
print_filtered(), printf_unfiltered(), etc. in the code base?

    Pardon me for the really basic questions. Please reply to

    raja.gobi@netergynet.com.

Thank you very much,
-Raja.