Re: RFA general question

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, John R. Moore wrote:

> For my fix, I have changes in "newlib", "tcl", "gdbtk" & "gdb". Do I
> submit a ChangeLog entry for each with a separate [RFA]'s or
> do I put a ChangeLog entry at "devo" level.

Newlib, gdbtk, and gdb all have separate mailing lists. You will need to
get approval from all of those lists before committing changes to those
particular directories.

You can send any Tcl/Tk/Tix/Itcl/libgui patches to this list, since (I
believe) all the people that have maintainer authority for those
sections of code monitor this list.

You ALWAYS put the ChangeLogs associated with a change in the directory
closest to the source file. That means you will need to write multiple
ChangeLog entries, one for tcl/, one for gdbtk/, one for gdb/, and one
for newlib/. (Newlib?? Don't know where to send that.)

Of course, you should only mention the changes in the changelog which
actually were added to the directory, i.e., don't mention changes to
gdbtk-cmds.c in tcl/ChangeLog or changes in gdb/valops.c in gdbtk/ChangeLog,
etc.

> I'm trying to support 64-bit targets on 32-bit hosts and need a small
> change in tcl/generic/tclBasic.c where I can use "%lld" instead of
> "%ld" in orger to fix my problem. Normally, in gdb, we use functions
> like padddr_nz() to avoid using the gcc-ism of "%llx", but these are
> local to gdb (gdb/defs.h and gdb/utils.c). What solutions are there
> for Tcl? I could make a static copy (of paddr_d) in the file where I need
> it!?

Good question. Maybe Syd or Jim (both ex-Tcl members at Sun) have some
advice. I would (hastily) guess that adding a copy of paddr* to Tcl would
be the best solution, but I won't say that with any certainty. :-)