Re: Insight port to the 'original' Windows

Keith Seitz wrote:

> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Kai Ruottu wrote:
>
> > The result is attached as an screenshot showing the problem....
>
> You ARE adventurous, aren't you? :-)

 Perhaps....

> >  Has someone to give a clue what could cause this?  Is there some
> > fundamental feature (threads etc.) taken into work into the Insight
> > scripts etc. in 1999 causing this?  Ok, as seen in the source window,
> > all the stuff in the lower part has not been drawn....
>
> For some reason, the srctextwin has not drawn itself. It could be a bug in
> Insight or a bug in Tcl. I would start Insight withe environment varialble
> GDBTK_DEBUG set (to two) in your environment. Of course, I don't know if
> such a thing exists on the original version of windows, so you may have to
> edit your gdbtk.ini. There is a section labeled "windows" with the
> property "active={list of windows to open when started". Add "DebugWin".
> This will automatically bring up the DebugWindow when you start Insight.
> Maybe that will provide some insight into your problem. (Ok, I couildn't
> resist that one. :-)

 Unfortunately the Debug Window is one of those windows not starting :-(
The others not starting are the Memory, Console and HelpTopics while all
kind of others seem to work at least somehow....  Setting the GDBTK_DEBUG
adds the Debug Window -choice into the View-pulldown....  And makes the
Insight to crash silently without any kind of visible error messages when
trying
to start the non-working windows. Without it these things just don't do
anything,
like crash the program....

 Ok, I had forgot some basic things.... The first is that the DLLs for
Win32s, at
least the 16-bit 'TCL1680.DLL',  must be produced with either Borland C++ 4.5

(or newer for the 32-bit DLLs)  or with MSVC [456] and MSVC 1.5 (for the
16-bit DLL). Perhaps mixing the Mingw-produced 32-bit DLLs with the
Borland/MS-produced 16-bit one could also succeed but I wouldn't be sure
about that....

  The results I have now got, came from using the one year old DLLs where the

'TK80.DLL' was made from the 8.0pl2 sources and with BCC 4.52, just as were
the TCL*80.DLLs, but built from the 8.04 sources....  The 8.04-version
TK80.DLL
didn't seem to work at all when I built the DLLs.  The 98r2-Insight used
8.0pl2 but
the newer 8.04 DLLs seemed to work just as well or better with the 98r2-based

Insights, anyway the newer Insights seem to require the 8.04-versions...
Really a
mess of DLLs now....

 So,  getting working DLLs for Win32s seems to be the biggest problem.  The
tcl/tk/itcl/itk 8.04 and 3.0 sources seem to have support for Borland C++ and

MSVC (besides for GCC), but probably the support needs some fixing, my first
try with BCC 4.52 (again)  produced DLLs which caused all kind of "Unhandled
Exception"- messages...

  I also tried with the quite current 20010501 weekly snapshots and the
resulted
Insight worked quite identically with the 5.0 when using the 5.0 scripts, but
produced
only the frame for the Source Window, no menubar, no toolbar, just the plain
window when using its own scripts....   BTW, I produce  the Insights under
Linux
using Linux-x-Mingw cross-tools for Win32/Win32s  hosts.

 There are things like the need to cut the script and image filenames to 8
chars so
that Win3.1/Win32s can find them, so perhaps there are still some not found /
not
yet renamed files I'm not aware of....  The errors/warnings must first be get
visible.
I fixed the 'verror()' in 'gdb/utils.c' to output the messages via
MessageBox'es, not
via the unexisting 'Win32 console', but this probably wasn't enough because
the
crashes after setting the GDBTK_DEBUG don't cause any messages....  Perhaps
when checking everything,  it starts to work....  One thing I found via the
new
MessageBoxes was that for some reason the function/symbol 'Tcl_Gets' is not
included into the Mingw-produced 8.04 DLLs but the BCC-produced ones have
it....

 The tcl/tk-8.04, itcl-3.0 and tix-4.1 docs say that Win32s is supported and
the DLLs
should work, but I remember finding prebuilt 8.04-DLLs only for Win32
without the
TCL1680.DLL and including the Win32-only MSVCRT.DLL, compiled with MSVC 5.0
Anyhow trying the newer BCC 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5 compilers for the 32-bit
DLL stuff
instead of the BCC 4.52 could help (or make things worse).  But all this is
just an
experiment,  the Win32s-port may as well remain in that 98r2-level for this
early-90s
opsys....   The tcl/tk-8.1 and newer then aren't supported for Win32s, so
there would
be a natural dead for the port later....

Cheers, Kai