Re: [RFC] New Non-modal Dialogs

Jim wrote:

> I bet the IncrTk dialog classes use them as well, though it's been a
> while since I looked at this.  So you shouldn't throw out Modal dialogs
> just because the ones we have currently don't behave particularly
> well...

You're right: I need to investigate other methods a little more, but...

Like all gui code from any extension imaginable, iwidgets::Dialog just
doesn't work like it should.

Try using a dialog which is application modal. Like all the other junk we
end up trying to maintain, it grabs the focus and keyboard all right, but
it has no idea how to stay on top. You can raise any application window
over it at will. Put another application's window over it and click on
some other Insight window. Yep, no dialog, just beeps. It's silly.

I figured it was better to write my own than maintain the half-implemented
and (less than) half tested stuff of others (like the combobox problems,
the tkTable problems, and on and on).

I will check if tk8.3 fixed its tk_messageBox or if there is a newer
version of iwidgets which fixes this problem. Barring that, I am going
ahead with my own modal dialog, because (for reasons unknown to me), no
one on the planet seems capable of writing application modal dialogs which
work the way they should.

My (modally-frustrated) $0.0002.