Re: Tcl/Tk 8.3 upgrade...

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:32:30 -0400
Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com> wrote:

> Ian Roxborough wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:49:36 -0400
> > Fernando Nasser <fnasser@cygnus.com> wrote:
> > > Also, how would this affect testsuite runs?
> >
> > This shouldn't affect the testsuites. They run fine.
>
> The gdb testsuites.  But I bet the gdbtk tests will not (will at least
> need some adjustments).

I bet you they do.  The only adjustment that I made to
get the gdbtk testsuit running was setting ITK_LIBRARY.
They are hacks in the current cvs version of Tcl which
munge out the ITCL/ITK pathes to find the source directory.

Just incase I've not been clear:

- running gdb and gdbtk from the install directory works fine.

- running gdb and gdbtk testsuites from the build directory
  works fine.

- running gdb from the build directory works.

The only think that didn't work is running gdbtk from the
build directory without setting the *_LIBRARY environment
variables.

> > > Note that if we make insight's own main.c we can add some code
> > > to handle these situations.
> >
> > Yeah, I see that.  We can make this set TCL_LIBRARY, etc. before
> > it tries any *_inits and everything should work.
> >

> Exactly.

Yeah, I've done that. Still don't like it much, but that's
just me (chance to remove some code as well as keeping the
code to run gdb from the build directory in the build, slightly
smaller binary, etc.).

What I've added will now check to see if gdb has been ran
from a "bin" directory.  If not and TCL_LIBRARY isn't set,
then it will set TCL_LIBRARY and then run a short embedded
Tcl script to set the other *_LIBRARY before going on to
start Insight.

You could also use this code to try and solve some of gdbtk's
location independance problems.

OK, so I've now got all the bits running the way you guys
have requested, I need some time to put this all together
and do some testing/code clean up/etc..  So hopefully
some time next week I'll submit a patch removing the need
from the Tcl local changes and renaming the gdbtk directory
to insight1.0.

Is there any chance of major changes over that time?
When are you planning to split gdb and insight in to
seperate modules?

Thanks,
  Ian.
--