JNI debugging, "error while loading shared libraries"

I'd like to use insight to debug our Java JNI native functions, written in C.
  A very tiny test program (below), runs fine without insight ("java hi" from
the shell).

public class hi {
		System.out.println("hello world");
	}
}

But firing up java with insight (the java wrapper looks at export
DEBUG_PROG=gdb), gets the following error as soon as I "run hi" from the gdb
console:

/usr/share/jbuilder5/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error while loading
shared libraries: libhpi.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
directory

----

Do you have any ideas or workarounds?  I put a "sh -x" on the java wrapper and
it IS setting up LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly.  Otherwise it wouldnt work in the
case without insight.  I even tried manually adding the java libdirs to
/etc/ld.so.conf, that didnt work either.

I'm running insight+dejagnu-20010703

BTW, I get the same failure from insight in "-nw" no windows mode.  And from
gdb 5.0rh-5.  The OS here is RH7.1.

Thanks for your ideas.

--William