Re: Remote debugging: PC->HP Server

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Rosenzweig, Daniel Z (Dan), NNAD wrote:

> I can't find documentation which mentions how to do remote debugging,
> although the 'target' screen does mention stuff like 'Remote/Tcp'. The help
> doesn't describe that screen. I also don't see how to get the remote source
> code viewable on the PC while debugging. Is there documentation available?

No documentation beyond what is available in the (almost useful) built-in
help. Sorry.

> Also, I searched through the mailing list and noticed that I should use
> Insight version 5.1 for remote debugging - is this correct (is it available
> yet)? I'm running the precompiled Insight 5 (I haven't had the patience to
> d/l the entire cygwin distro over dialup --- is there a place where I can
> buy (legally) the distro for a copying fee only (as opposed to with a
> support license)?.

Yes, I would recommend using a snapshot of 5.1 or newer. I don't know if
we do CDs anymore. We used to. Maybe one of the sources overseers is
reading this and will know.

> For GVD, I was running the UI on my PC, and gdb on the HP server where the
> executable is running.... Can I do that for Insight -- or do I run Insight
> (UI+gdb) on my PC to remotely debug the executable on the HP server)? If I
> can do both of them, what are the pluses and minuses?

Never heard of gvd, but Insight is compiled directly into gdb, so it must
run on the remote machine.

The traditional way to do remote unix debugging is with something called
"gdbserver", which runs on the remote machine (your hpux box). You then
start gdb/Insight on your PC, telling it to use a "Remote/TCP" target,
attaching it to the gdbserver.

I don't know if gdbserver has been done for hpux, though. Actually, given
the state of HPUX in the mainline, I'm almost positive it hasn't. Search
through the gdb list at gdb@sources.redhat.com. If you fail to find
anything, try leaving them a message.