Re: GDB error for angel on ARM oki board

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Charles-Henri Balet wrote:

> another infos for the gdb error, this is the message receive when start gdb
> and connect

> $ arm-elf-gdb
> GNU gdb 5.1.1
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf".
> (gdb) set remotebaud 9600
> (gdb) target rdi com1
> RDI_open: undefined error message, should reset target
> RDI_open failed

Excellent. This is exactly what I wanted to know. You are having problems
with the command line, so you need to send this to gdb@sources.redhat.com,
where they deal with backend problems with the debugger. They should be
able to help you there.

I think that you can add the debug stuff into rdi-share by adding
"-DDEBUG" to your CFLAGS, i.e., make CFLAGS="-g -DDEBUG" in gdb directory.

> (gdb) target rdi com1
> Unexpected read on channel 4, length 192                                //
> for each reset, I obtain this message
> Unexpected read on channel 4, length 192

This isn't so unexpected. The RDI code that ARM "donated" to us really
sucks. I don't believe that it can handle re-opening the target like this.
You may need to do "detach" first.

> "I have tested after this with the ARM SDT 2.50 and the board work fine with
> no error to 9600 and 19200 baud"

Ok, this is good to know: this removes the possibility that your cable or
something is at fault.

> the message returned at the connection of the ARM SDT with the board is :
>
> Angel Debug Monitor V1.20 (ARM Ltd unreleased) for ML671000 CPU Board(OKI)
> Built for ARM7TDMI Serial(x1), IRQ
> Unreleased build Mar 14 2000
> Serial Rate:   9600
>
> You think, ARM has make an proprietary Angel for OKI ???? and not fully
> compatible ? and has the little or big endian
> mode any importance ?

It is possible, that ARM has a special Angel protocol for OKI, but I don't
know; it has been a while since I last played with ARM and RDI.

You're best bet is to ask over on the gdb list. There are bound to be more
people over there that can help. Don't forget to send them the info above
(gdb -nw session and that it works using ARM's tools). This is very
important for them.

Good luck.