Re: [Patch] Fixup tcl and expect build under Cygwin

On Thu, 9 May 2002 12:36:55 -0700 (PDT)
Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com> wrote:

> I cannot approve this (not really sure who can), but I remember doing
> something similar in a sandbox to fix all the tcl/tk problems on cygwin.

Is there some other list that this patch should be submitted to?

> There are several problems with our tcl/tk builds now;
> tcl/generic/tclIntDecls.h has bugs, cygtcl.m4 wants to link with
> "-e_WinMain@16", which is wrong, and a bunch more that I haven't found.
> :-(

That -e flag is kind of interesting because it was to work around a bug in gcc. When both a WinMain() and a main() are found gcc incorrectly picks main() as the entry point even though -mwindows is passed. If this problem no longer exists in Cygwin gcc then the -e could be removed. I know it is required to build with Mingw 2.95.2, but I don't know about later releases. If this problem does exist, it manifests itself as a wish.exe that pops up the . window but no console.

> Otherwise, as far as I can approve the tcl changes, I've only one
> question... Why can I build with cygwin without build problems? (Ok,
> expect doesn't build, but tcl/tk were "fine".)

It should break down when building Itcl under Windows. I have no idea why you would not run into this problem aside from something obvious like using an older config.cache that had tcl/win/tclConfig.sh cached. You might try looking at the output of configure when the Itcl configure is being run to see if it detects the config file in tcl/unix or tcl/win.

> I'll definitely approve the unix/tclConfig.sh thing, though. I never
> understood why that was done.

As far as I can tell, it was to avoid an error configuring expect. The expect patch fixes that problem so I can't see any reason not to apply the patch.

Mo