Re: step through code

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Heik H. Hellmich wrote:

> I am using Insight GNU gdb 5.1 (--host=sparc-sun-solaris2.6
> --target=powerpc-eabi) and have the problem that I cannot step through
> the generated elf-code because the step/next/finish/continue buttons are
> always greyed out for target=sim. I am able to load the elf-file and can
> see the c-file and the corresponding asm-file in Insight's source
> window.

This usually happens when gdb fails to set an inferior pid (which is/was
gdb's goofy way of knowing whether an inferior exists), but it could be
anohter error getting in the way. If you enter "tk ManagedWin::open
DebugWin" in the console window, it will open a debug window. Clear it
before you click run and send the results after you have clicked run and
it fails to do anything.

Can you also send the results of typing "tk gdb_target_has_execution" and
"tk set ::gdb_running". This will tell us if inferior_pid is set.

I've tried this on CVS head, and it works on my ADS executable on the
simulator. You could simply upgrade to 5.2 or 5.3 or just use CVS head
sources.