Re: Insight Shutdown behavior

[moved to insight list]

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Paul Breed wrote:

> When debugging with Insight as a cross debugger
> under windows one has to shutdown so that
> you can rebuild the elf file you are debugging.
> (Otherwise you have a sharing violation)

What's your target? As I recall, this is not an Insight bug. I don't even
think it's a gdb bug. I remember this came up a long time ago...

> This is not totally unreasonable, but the really anoying part is that
> insight can randomly decide to take 20 or 30 seconds to shutdown.

Mine certainly doesn't take this long, even on windows.

> Any suggestions on:
>
> 1)Leaving Insight open, and closing the file being debugged
> so one can rebuild?

Umm... File->Close?

> 2)Figuring out what takes so long when Insight shuts down.

What release are you using? Type "gdb -v". Also when you run Insight, open
a console window and type "tk info tclversion". What's the result?

If you want to debug it, I would try starting insight under gdb and
setting a break in gdb_force_quit. This is the place where shutdown
starts.