RE: Cygwin Insight not launched just gdb

Tks

> BTW, the trunk version of insight is quite unstable: Tcl/Tk just
doesn't
> work. (And I'm tired of looking for the problem, so I'm starting over
with
> Tcl/Tk 8.4.0.)
>
> Keith

Over the last couple of months I have been working on Cygwin Insight and
I have patched my version to get around most the insight problems. As
long as I do not call the prefs window things are stable and Tcl/Tk
8.3.0 is working great in Cygwin.

The reason I have not submitted a patch is that it's a workaround not a
fix and I am still very new to Tcl/Tk. I have been reluctant to discuss
the issues as it will probably end up a (OT) Tcl/Tk command lesson for
me.

Anyway, here is the problem as I see it.

First, I found that when the right mouse button is pushed, there also
can be some mouse movement. (I think is due to angle of the "Microsoft"
right mouse button so the mileage may vary with different mouse types)
This causes Insight to suddenly exit when it tries to display the menu
balloon in response to the movement event.... Why? As "$win tag remove
_show_variable 1.0" makes _show_variable undefined and is trying to
repaint the balloon with an undefined tag. I guessing in the past that
_show_variable == "" after tag remove....

I made insight reasonably stable by removing all the "$win tag remove
_show_variable 1.0 end" statements and allowing the balloon to repaint
behind the right mouse menu. Note, we could simply get around this by
using a global var to turn on/off balloon help and simply return from
SrcTextWin::motion when displaying popups. This should probably be
implemented anyway.

So I have been digging deeper and it seems (unproven current theory)
that the use of "$win tag remove _show_variable 1.0 end" is incorrect
(pls correct me here if I am wrong). Insight expects "if {$tag == ""}"
will work where from what I can find it should be using something like
"if {(pathName tag ranges tagName) == ""}" to see if text contains a
tag. As in windows the "tag remove" makes _show_variable undefined, and
hence we get a random sudden exit on the use of the right mouse
button....... However, I am still not confident what I am saying here is
correct....More reading needed....

So my next plan was to see if the behaviour was the same using Tcl/Tk
8.4.0 to see if the problem was just isolated to Tcl/Tk 8.3.0.  However,
after reading some of the documentation, I doubt it.

Ok, these are my thoughts which may be incorrect and is demonstrating my
inexperience with Tcl/Tk. I hope this all make sense and is of some use.

Regards Trevor