Re: toubles during installation

I am sorry you are having problems with using linux, but this is not the
appropriate forum for your queries. This mailing list discusses the
multitude of problems with Insight, a graphical user interface for GDB,
the GNU Debugger.

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Rajneesh Subbraman wrote:

> 1. How to install X window server?

X Windows on a server? Do you really want to add a bunch of junk onto a
server? Sounds like asking for trouble to me, but it is your network...

It sounds like you've installed Red Hat Linux using the "Server" option.
Servers don't get X, KDE, gnome et al in this installation mode. May I
suggest reading through the Red Hat Linux Installation Guide?

> 2. How to mount a cdrom(ide)?

Try "man mount". You must (obviously) have a cdrom in the drive before you
attempt to mount it.

> 3. ls commands(/cdrom) lists nothing under cdrom. what may be the reason?

You need to mount the cdrom first. (I thought the cdrom gets mounted on
/mnt/cdrom? You can check /etc/fstab to find out for sure.)

> 4.autorun(/cdrom) shows error (kfmclient : cannot connect to X server)

Dunno, but it's another X thing. Once X is running, this should go away
anyway.