Re: Plugins : Memory Reads

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 09:59, David Mc Kenna wrote:

> Unfortunately this reads information in table format and as such I cannot read
> several different non consecutive locations and place them in the same table
> to be displayed by Insight. Is there an alternate command/method available that
> can be used to read memory which can then be place into the table structure?

I'm afraid I don't understand your problem. You want to read several
non-consecutive memory addresses and stuff them into some sort of table
widget?

If the table is displaying non-contiguous regions of memory (or just a
byte here and a byte there), it seems that you ought to be able to
accomplish this by passing gdb_update_mem a private array. Then your
plugin code could grab the interesting bits and stuff them into the
table.

So for the same table widget that the memory window uses, you would copy
the interesting bits into another data array that the widget uses. Since
the memory window only shows contiguous regions of memory, it has the
luxury of sharing one array across the call.

Of course, it would be a lot better if we had a specific (and simpler)
call for a memory read for plugins. I'm sure there are other areas where
we could serve plugins better, too...