Re: duplicated source file names

Hi Keith,

Keith Seitz wrote:

However, when debugging this in insight, it only seems to be able to "recognise" one instance of a particular filename. So, even though I type in the name of a function in the function drop down "ext2_read_super", which exists in fs/ext2/super.c, Insight displays the file /fs/super.c.

This is a pretty well-known issue for me... I still have nightmares about it. The problem is not really insight, as I recall. Here's how to check:

Try a couple of things. Open a console window and enter the commands:

- "list ext2_read_super": Does it return the correct source?

Nope - it lists the "correct" line numbers from the wrong file. I'm guessing this is a problem in the binutils addr2line, is that what it's for?

- "info func ext2_read_super": Right info?

It says "super.c", then gives the corrent function declaration.

- "tk gdbtk_loc ext_read_super": Right info?

I get - Error: invalid command name "gdbtk_loc"

Send results to the list. I'm pretty sure that gdb is failing on this,
but it has been a while, and maybe they fixed it and Insight is behind
the times.

BTW, gdb/insight 5.0 is WAY old... Even if it is a gdb problem, I doubt
you're going to get much help with a release that several years old.

Yeah I realise that - this is a cross-debugger for an embedded system, short of forward-porting it myself (*not* gonna happen!) I don't really have a lot of options.

I'm not too stressed about this, I can just rename the source file and rebuild the project as I need to, just wanted to know if there was something simple I might do.

Thanks,

John

Dr John Williams, Research Fellow,
Reconfigurable Computing, School of ITEE
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Ph : (07) 3365 8305