Re: Insight 6.0?

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 21:20, Colin Johnson wrote:

> Where's the 6.0 beta you promised?
> Insight 5.3 still wont install on Redhat 9.0.
> This is a major pain as I'd really like to use it.

Please don't say that I promised anything. I most certainly did not.
Regarding your build failures with 5.3, I said:

	You've two options:
	1) Fix the errors (should take about ten
	minutes -- they're simple)
	2) Checkout the 6.0 beta due out any day now

I use the term "any day now" with certainty: it will be out "any day
now". I don't know when. I don't set the release schedule for gdb.

As it is, have you checked out the 6.0 beta from the branch? Have you
tried to fix the simple build errors that you were seeing with 5.3?

I don't recall hearing anything from you about attempting either of
these.

<rant>
I'd really like to believe that your terse message was not meant to come
across as so vitriolic, but that's what it sounds like. Insight is not
funded by anybody (I guess unless you count the odd couple of hours a
week I spend on email support for it). Yes, it was originally developed
(and released) by Cygnus Solutions (now Red Hat). Yes, I do work for Red
Hat. I even worked for Red Hat on Insight for a brief amount of time in
2001.

However, in case there is any doubt in any one's mind: INSIGHT IS AN
OPEN SOURCE PROJECT FUNDED BY NO ONE. I have a day job, and it keeps me
busy. I also have some other, non-computer interests which keep me busy
after work, too. (Gasp! :-)
</rant>

Insight releases are NOT managed by me. We go with the flow and let gdb
dictate release schedules.

If you are unhappy with the 6.0 release schedule, you should take it up
with the gdb folks.

You can always download the 6.0 sources (which haven't changed a whole
lot, as far as I can tell) from CVS. The source is always there.