Re: [Bdm-devel] RE: Problems using Insight/GDB for Coldfire

Keith Seitz wrote:

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 00:20, Paul Whitfield wrote:

However, the insight GUI seems to have problems understanding the current state of the interface. I.e. the buttons on the top
of the window are always greyed out.

This is almost always a bug in the backend support for gdb. Do -- all
from the console window:

One thing... I usually do the target stuff in my .gdbinit file. Because this is a embedded environment there is a reasonable amount of setup that needs to be done before it is possible to communicate with the board (mainly making sure the memory space is working so there is valid memory to examine / download into).

Also there procedures vary depending on if I am debugging
code in RAM or in Flash memory, so I have a couple of
diffent init scripts that I run depending on the circumstances.

Is this an issue with Insight?

1) tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin 2) [set baudrate or any other target options] 3) target MYTARGET DEVICE 4) tk gdb_target_has_execution 5) tk set ::gdb_running

Here is the output from the console window.

gdb) tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin
.debugwin0.debugwin

(gdb) target bdm /dev/bdmcf0
Remote bdm connected to /dev/bdmcf0
 Coldfire debug module version is 1 (5307/5407(e))

(gdb) tk gdb_target_has_execution
0

(gdb) tk set ::gdb_running
0

(gdb)

Notice that if the backend is operating properly, the answer to both #3
and #4 will be >0. Any errors show up in the debug window?

As you can see the answers are 0.... no errors in the debug window.

So any pointers to code / documentation for what needs to be
fixed to make the back end work correctly?

Thanks

Paul