SGI, Problems with reading files

I have compiled Insight on an SGI, with irix6.5.  I am using Insight 5.3.

Insight 6.0 would mangle filename strings (insert a "\" before every "e")  I
saw this with gdb on the command line also.

Insight 5.3 did not exhibit this behavior...but it has other problems.  If a
program being debugged needs to open a file, this will fail unless the file is
in the same directory.  Sometimes it fails regardless.  If I run gdb on the
command line, no problem whatsover.  If I use absolute paths to filenames, it
appears to always work, but I will not yet go out on that limb.  What is going
on?

I did not set any environment variables.

Thanks!

Mike