Re: SEG FAULT

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 12:59, Thomas Fusco wrote:
> I'm getting a "SEGMENTATION FAULT" with the address and I'm having
> trouble getting to the address using insight.  I can locate an address
> if I'm in the function browser and I disassemble and hunt for the
> address (using window).  But what if I do not know which function I'm
> getting the SEGMENTATION FAULT on.  It's tedious to hunt through all the
> code.

I'm afraid you're going to have to give a little more information. Can
you see a stack backtrace? [Open stack window; or open console window
and type "bt".]

You should be able to deduce what happened unless the program did
something that corrupted the stack or whatnot.

If you send the output of "bt", I can tell you the best way to proceed.
[Feel free to obfuscate function names if you're worried about it.]

If you know the address where the segfault occurred, you can open a
console window and type "info symbol ADDRESS" to find out what symbol
best matches the address:

$ ./gdb -nw -nx -q gdb
(gdb) p main
$1 = {int (int, char **)} 0x8090e70 <main>
(gdb) info symbol 0x8090e74
main + 4 in section .text