Re: Can't build Insight with Cygwin

Peter Rockett wrote:
Success!!!!

Excellent!

Not sure what I was doing but I think the files may have been left in some
sort of limbo state by my first attempts at building when I didn't have
bison and flex installed. (Although I thought I had cleaned and periodically
recreated the directory from the .bz2 file... but it's all beginning to blur
now.) Having delved into it, it's obvious now that I needed bison and flex
but it wasn't in the beginning.

FWIW (and I don't know if you are doing this), I *never* build in the source directory. I always maintain the integrity of the pristine source. The FAQ on the website covers this.

(BTW: Just discovered that Insight 6.3.50 is included prebuilt in the cygwin
stuff under the gdb package as well as in the mingw downloads).

Yeah -- insight *is* gdb, and as long as Chris or Corinna or one of the other in-the-knows keeps releasing gdb, the gdb package will always include insight.

Final point: Why does the Windows firewall chuck-up a message box when I
start Insight? What is Insight trying to do that should concern the
firewall?

I can only think of one thing off the top of my head: IPC. Is it attempting to accept connections on port tcp/9909? If so, it's because Insight is opening a server socket which allows multiple insight instances to communicate with each other.

You can disable this be unsetting "gdb/ipc/enabled" in src/gdb/gdbtk/library/prefs.tcl or in your preference file (~/.gdbtkinit or ~/gdbtk.ini).