Re: howto disassemble without debug information

Keith Seitz wrote:
Marco Cavallini wrote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Seems hard to explain what I want to do, but every commercial debugging software I tested has this feature and I'm wondering if insight/gdb can do the same.
I actually need trace the execution step-by-stp of assembler code without debug info, is it possible and how ?
I don't care about breakpoints at the moment it was only an example.
The best I've done until now is to show the disassembled of binary code with : (gdb) x/10i 0x0

Read the GDB documentation or do "help stepi".

This seems what I was looking for, thank you.

Last question: is it possible to see the ASM code and execute a step from inside INSIGHT using a mouse click (always without debug info) ?
I haven't found this feature.

Does exist a manual for INSIGHT

Actually, you're going to run into a lot of trouble using an assembler-only approach to debugging. GDB was simply never written to deal properly with this situation. As a result, Insight won't be of much help in this regard, either.

I've debugged a lot of assembler code using GDB on a number of different targets. GDB handles assembly quite reasonably and, indeed, handles it "properly" if that is supposed to mean correctly.

(Debugging C code with -g is much easier, of course.)

Insight does not provide dual display (source and
assembly) of a program as some other debuggers provide.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077