Re: Tcl/tk doesn't seem to append .exe to symlinks in Cygwin

Thrall, Bryan wrote:
I understand this is the place to report problems with Cygwin's tcltk
package?

I guess so. We're the major consumer for it.

It looks like the wish.exe provided by tcltk doesn't properly handle
symbolic links to executables. A simple test case:

Tcl/tk in our repository are not cygwin applications. They were simply modified (a long, long time ago) to build the windows version on cygwin (using gcc). They understand nothing (from an API point of view) about anything POSIX that cygwin introduces on top of windows. All the filesystem commands still run through (non-POSIX) windows APIs. So symbol links will not work (neither will paths that include "/cygdrive").

Out of curiosity, I wonder if this has been properly fixed upstream? Have you looked at a recent release from www.tcl.tk? Have they found a maintainer yet? If so, we could certainly do with dumping our own version of tcl et al in favor of a release by the package's real maintainers.