Re: Insight/gdb on MinGW/MSYS (Windows XP)?

On 11/14/2006 11:45 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
Has anyone here got Insight working properly on a MinGW/MSYS setup under Windows XP? Or even a plain gdb? I'm trying to debug applications built by a gcc version set up for target mingw32, using a binary version downloaded from the MinGW project web, but it doesn't work very well. Actually, I can do *some* work, but

I use the Cygwin gdb and insight binaries, and they're fine. You need to watch out for pathnames (e.g. in your .gdbinit file); they need to be specified in Cygwin format, not Windows format.

The shell doesn't really matter (Insight is fine in a Windows CMD shell), but it might cause less cognitive dissonance ;-) if you use a Cygwin shell as well, rather than MSYS.

This works pretty well for MinGW binaries. Currently we use -gdwarf-2, we used to use -g, for debug information.

Duncan Murdoch

* The debugger crashes in all sorts of unpredictable ways. * ... and some predictable ones, too. For instance, I suspect that "step into" always leads to a crash. * It seems like I can pretty much forget about doing *any* kind of debugging of DLLs. * When something critical occurs, so that the debugger stops in the SIGSEGV handler or similar, it won't know where it came from most of the time; the stack window will just show lots of question marks, and there is no way to figure out where exactly the code crashed. * The same thing happens if I stop in something like a Glib error handler.

- Toralf