Re: GDB/Insight bug: nexti for target ARM-ELF

Keith Seitz a écrit :
Usually these exec-related problems in insight are gdb problems,

Yes, that's why I sent a bug report to the GDB project.

I tried to compare different versions :
- nexti worked fine in insight 6.10 for arm-elf
- in a recent weekly build of insight 6.5.50, it worked almost correctly

By 'almost', I mean that nexti sometimes fails when trying to step over a branch instruction.
I guess nexti should behave like stepi when the current instruction is not a subprogram call ?

Gdb must be able to recognize the boundaries of your "functions"/subprograms. In other words, they must look pretty C-like.

I did not find a relevant pattern here : I tried to compare hand-written asm with code generated by GCC.
With optimizations (-O2), the generated code is very close to my hand written asm.

My experiments show that adding dummy instructions at the beginning of a hand-written asm subprogram can make nexti work, but I could not find a relevant pattern.

One thing to try (for the heck of it) is different debug info formats

I already tried invoking AS with '-g' or '-gstabs' ... same behavior.

Well : do you think it is safe for me to switch to the latest CVS version of insight ?
Last time I tried, the "target settings" dialog didn't work, but I see that this has been solved.

Thanks,

--
Guillaume Savaton

ESEO
4, rue Merlet de la Boulaye - BP 30926
49009 Angers Cedex 01
France

Tél (ligne directe) : +33(0)2.41.86.67.60
Tél (accueil) : +33(0)2.41.86.67.67
Fax : +33(0)2.41.87.99.27