Re: Insight help not working

Keith Rubow wrote:
I am running arm-elf-insight from the WinARM toolchain. It says it is version 6.5.50.20060612-csv. It also reports (Help->About) that This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=arm-elf". When I try to get help (Help->Help Topics), all I get is a dialog box that says "Error: invalid command name "ide_shell_execute"".

Hmm. Mingw. I didn't even think you could build gdb with that host. I have an older version of insight from July on a windows box, but it's a cygwin host. It works there.

That doesn't really, help, I know. But let me see if I can guess what the problem is...

In your build directory, go to libgui/src. In there should be a file called "tclshellexe.o" (or ".obj"). If you run objdump --disassemble on it, does it come up empty?

If so, then the problem is probably because cygwin defines (or somehow it gets defined) "_WIN32" (the whole of tclshellexe.c is wrapped in this define). My guess is that for mingw32, it is wrong. Try changing the ifdef (or whacking it for your local build), and reinstall and see if that works.

If not, well, I'm not sure. But I'll bet I'm close. :-)

I cannot get any help topics listed. I cannot find any help or documentation on insight anywhere. Where can I find documentation, or how can I get the help to work?

You can also peruse a copy of the documentation online at http://sourceware.org/insight/help/ . It might be out of date, I don't know. Or you can simply point your web browser at $INSTALL_DIR/share/insight1.0/help/index.html to get the online help that insight installed when it was built/installed.