Re: Register Window query

roshan mulla wrote:

We intend to use Insight Debugger for our project which is using "MPC8xx"
processor based development board. I had a query regarding the register
window of the insight debugger.
1.	How do we add more registers to the Insight Debugger register
window?

You don't. Really. That sounds like a silly response, but insight is almost completely independent (read: "ignorant") of different architectures. It knows almost nothing about memory, registers, stack, or anything else. About the only thing it does "know" is the types of targets that are supported and the various ways to connect to them.

Insight simply fetches the list of registers from GDB. It then dynamically creates the register window using that list. If there are registers "missing" from the window, odds are they're not in gdb, or the code for fetching these registers needs updating.

In the tcl interpreter that is run with insight, the tcl command "gdb_reginfo" deals with registers. To access this command, open a console window and type "tk gdb_reginfo". It will display a list of supported commands. One of these is "name". So typing "tk gdb_reginfo name" will return the list of register names (which will be used to create the register window). If your register(s) is/are missing from this list, it could be either a bug in the routine to fetch the registers (in get_register_name in src/gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-register.c) or gdb itself (i.e., gdb doesn't know about the register).