How do I configure for installation?

Hi,

I'm trying to install Insight as a cross-debugger for a target
running MontaVista (Hard Hat 3.0) linux on a PowerPC. I'm
fairly new to linux and I don't know all the flavors. I've
looked through the config script and can't figure out which
target to declare. Is my target supported?

Gleaning advice from other posts, I tried this command:
jpetrang> <path>/configure --target=powerpc-linux --prefix=~/bin
--exec-prefix = ~/bin/ppc-insight -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out

... but I don't think it worked right because while configure ran
it spat this out:

configure: warning: /home/jpetrang/bin/ppc-insight: invalid host type
checking host system type... Invalid configuration
`/home/jpetrang/bin/ppc-insight': machine `/home/jpetrang/bin/ppc' not
recognized
checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
checking build system type... Invalid configuration
`/home/jpetrang/bin/ppc-insight': machine `/home/jpetrang/bin/ppc' not
recognized
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
 [...]

I'm concerned by "invalid host type" and "invalid configuration."

I apologize if I'm asking ignorant questions because I'm accustomed
to an embedded target that is connected directly to my windows PC
and which does not run linux as an OS. What do I need to do
differently for this configure script? Or is this fine? My intent
is to create an instance of Insight accessible to me only and not
affect the gdb already on the development host which is used by
many other engineers.

My target already has a gdbserver and I can use remote gdb with it,
for what that's worth.  (Will Insight work with that gdb?)

Thank you,
Jeanne

jpetrang at ciena dot com