RE: Insight not configured correctly?

From: Keith Seitz [mailto:keiths@redhat.com]

> Petrangelo, Jeanne wrote:
> > Okay, pilot error.  Instead of invoking gdb I invoked "insight" with
the
> > same path.
> >
> > Now, when I do, an X error box opens which says "can't find package
> > Iwidgets" and a grey-blank X tk window opens.
> >
> > What is wrong?

> This is usually an indication that something went wrong with the
> installation. Forgive me for starting with the obvious, but it will
help
> me understand your situation a little better: How did you configure
your
> build? Did you install it?
>
> Keith

Forgive me for not filling in those details in the same post. I want to
use Insight as a cross-debugger for an embedded system. The embedded
system uses HardHat 3.0 linux from MontaVista, and the development host
responds to "uname -a" with "2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux." I have a
Windows XP box on my desk from which I telnet to either linux location.
I don't have a great deal of experience with gdb or ddd, or linux for
that matter, having just started on this project, though I have
successfully got target-based gdb, remote gdb, and ddd working before
trying to install and use Insight.

My goal is to create a personal instance of insight in my home directory
which will not interfere with gdb used by others on the system.

I configured the installation with:
   configure --target=powerpc-linux --prefix=$HOME/bin \
          --exec-prefix=$HOME/bin/ppc-insight

I followe that by
   make
   make install

I don't know if I used the correct target, and other things may very
well be incorrect. If the location of the configure script and other
untarred things is significant, I can fill in those details too. I am
trying to invoke Insight from an X window open on my WinXP machine from
which I've telnetted to the development machine.

Did I provide enough information?

Jeanne