Re: [patch ping^2] suppress annoying warnings about cygwin1.dbg

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 12:20:13AM +0100, Pedro Alves wrote:
> I think the changes to make win32 use solib-target.c at least will
> turn this into a different warning, if they don't remove it.  I'm
> not familiar with the  separate debug info mechanism in gdb, but to
> me it sounds we should understand the reasons for the warnings and
> fix it there.   I mean, why is it that these warnings don't happen
> on other targets?  Why is gdb looking for loadable sections in a
> debug info only file?

There are loadable sections in an ELF debug-only file; they all have
type NOBITS instead of PROGBITS, but are otherwise unchanged.  I'm
going to make a wild guess here that says you can't do that in
PE-COFF, so the text section is actually missing.  So probably we
should figure out whether we're loading a debug-info-only file at this
point, and not issue those warnings.  Or else remove the warnings
entirely.

The redirection to /dev/null is silly and should go away, by the way,
so relying on it isn't the right fix.  I don't remember if my recently
posted WIP patch removed it.  I think it did for most but not all
cases.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery