RE: Value format: how to change the default representation?

On 18 August 2007 06:09, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first email to this forum, so hi to everybody!

  Hi!  As you have probably guessed, this is a fairly low-traffic list!

> Another issue I have, which I cannot solve immediately, is the fact that
> the values in watch windows (local variables, etc.) are always shown in
> the so-called "natural" format.
>
> My question: is there a way to switch over by default to hex
> representation?  Or another base?
>
> I know I can right-click on a variable and then select "hex", but this I
> have to do over and over again with every new session.
>
> Rather, I would prefer to have an option where I can myself decide which
> base I want to use for my number representations.
>
> Hope someone can help me here?  Possibly by pointing me to the correct
> piece of source code so that I can change it myself?

  The sources for most of the GUI widgets live in .../gdb/gdbtk/library.  You'll
find watch.tcl in there, and IIUIC, it relies on vartree objects to display the
variables.  (I'm not all that familiar with the gui code myself, but it's all
fairly object-oriented and hierarchical).

    cheers,
      DaveK