RE: Launching the GDB debugger on the target when starting the debug session.

On 22 August 2007 16:41, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 18 August 2007 14:10, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

>>> Is it possible to launch the GDB server on the target the moment you
>>> press the "Run" button in Insight?
>>>
>>> Currently, the GDB server always has to be started manually, preferably
>>> prior to launching the Insight debugger.
>>>
>>> Would be handy if this could be done from within Insight.

>>   It's tricky though.  There's no standard way to "launch a process X on a
>> remote machine Y".  Did you have a mechanism in mind?
>>
>>   BTW, this kind of question makes sense to discuss on the main gdb list.

> To answer your question regarding a mechanism I have in mind, I can tell
> you the following:
>
> At the office, we're using the MontaVista DevRocket debugger
> environment.  Their 2.0 release was about the same as the current
> Insight wrt starting up a debug session.  You had to start the server on
> the target manually, then launch the debugger.
>
> Now, with their newest release (DevRocket 5.0), they've changed this
> behaviour.  There's no need any more to start the GDB server
> separately.  It's done through the debugger GUI the moment you start
> your application on the debugger.
>
> I don't know, however, how they were able to install such mechanism.

  Well, it's presumably because they get to control configuration of the target,
and they can set up an account on the machine so that the debug host can log in
as if it were a user.  That works for one dev system from one supplier that's
based on linux (and so supports network login, ftp, rcmds etc) but it would be
hard to make generic.

> Regarding the location of my question, you're talking about the "main
> gdb list".  Could you point me to that list?  Then I can for sure pose
> my question over there.

  Replace 'insight@' with 'gdb@' in the list address and you're there!  For the
homepage:

http://sourceware.org/gdb

To subscribe to (any of) the list(s) or view the archives: