Re: Problem with latest cygwin tcl package

Dave Meyer wrote:
I am having a problem with a tcl script (shown below) in that it hangs
when executed. Currently, I have the latest cygwin code downloaded. When
I run the tcl script with the latest tcl/tk package (20080420-1) the
script hangs on executing the svn command. This occurs on both a
WindowsXP and Windows2003 system. When I install tcl/tk version
20060202-1, the script executes correctly. Any thoughts on how to
further debug this?

I'm afraid I do not have good news for you... The Tcl packages in sourceware are verbatim copies of the upstream ones from sourceforge. All we do is tweak the configury a little bit to enable us to build under cygwin and in our source/build environment.

That said, cygwin Tcl/Tk is a bit of a monster. While it builds and runs on cygwin, it is *not* a cygwin application. Many things simply will not work as a result. When passing paths to any Tcl command, they must be Windows-style paths, not cygwin. Exec probably calls the Windows API function CreateProcess instead of its POSIX equivalent.

I am sorry, but I do not have a cygwin box or any expertise to be able to track this down. I do recall that this subject has come up from time to time, and a web search shows a few patches and whatnot that you could try.

If you find anything that works, let me know, and I will update our Tcl sources.