Re: 20090609-cvs bad on linux (build fail cygwin)

Keith Seitz wrote:
Gene Smith wrote:
But I thought insight has it *own* gdb that never changes? Anyhow,
here are the step I use to build it:

No, it does not. Insight CVS uses gdb CVS. Insight 6.8 uses gdb 6.8.
> It has its own versions of tcl, tk, itcl, etc, but those are now just
> copies of some release (currently 8.4, I think). Except on cygwin, I > do
> not use the supplied versions of tcl et al anymore. I use the
> system-supplied versions on Fedora.

Kevin Buettner is working on updating tcl et al CVS on sourceware to
> the latest release.

Hopefully, this will help.

I will give this a go by the end of the week.

P/S: I am still a bit confused as to whether I should be using the
>> "system" supplied tcl/tk or the tcl/tck code from insight. I think I >> am using insight's. If I should use the system tcl/tk, how do I do >> that?

You can use whatever version you would like to. It has been a goal ofmine (for quite some time sadly) to eliminate our dependence on a
> sourceware-supplied tcl/tk/itcl. That requirement originally came in > the days of Tcl 8.1, when we carried a bunch of local patches to Tcl. > We didn't upgrade sourceware Tcl until 8.4 (or was it 8.3?) and our
> supplied version of Tcl became identical to upstream.

A little while ago, I got around to eliminating the requirement for
> sourceware-supplied Tcl. But it remains for historical reasons (and
> because cygwin still requires it). If we got cygwin "fixed", I guess > we could just simply eliminate it altogether from the repo if no other
> project was using it.

I think winavr project distributes a mingw build of insight. I am pretty
sure mingw has no "system" tcl/tk. However, I don't think many (or any?)
winavr or users use it.

Keith

Thanks for explaining all this! Now I see. But since you didn't tell me how to select "system" tcl/tk vs. built-in I assume you don't think that is related to my problem.