Re: Using system tcl/tk version 8.5

On 03/18/2010 09:32 PM, Gene Smith wrote:
I did what he said in the first paragraph but my system (fedora 12) has
tk/tcl 8.5 and the build process expects 8.4. But if I rename my
installed libtcl8.5.so and libtcl8.5.so to 8.4 the link works.

I use Fedora 11 (soon 13) with Tcl 8.5 (don't forget all the -devel RPMS on Red Hat-like systems):

tcl-8.5.6-6.fc11.i586
tcl-devel-8.5.6-6.fc11.i586
tk-8.5.6-4.fc11.i586
tk-devel-8.5.6-4.fc11.i586
itcl-3.4-4.fc11.i586
itcl-devel-3.4-4.fc11.i586
itk-3.4-4.fc11.i586
itk-devel-3.4-4.fc11.i586
iwidgets-4.0.2-2.fc11.noarch

Are you using x86_64? I believe I am sitting on a patch to fix some bad assumptions with that... Still need to test them some more, though.

But when I run insight it expects 8.5 again so it fails to run. But if I
rename the system files above back to 8.5 it runs.

Yeah, definitely cannot do that...

Is there a way to specify in configure the version of tcl/tk that you
have on your system or, even better, to try to work with whatever you have?

You can use:

--with-tcl directory containing tcl configuration (tclConfig.sh)
--with-tk directory containing tk configuration (tkConfig.sh)

Normally, you only need to use --with-tcl -- the configury will assume that tkConfig.sh is in the same place. I believe I tested all this when I did this work a while ago, but I might have missed something. Testing three different configury scenarios can get a little confusing.

Regarding his 2nd paragraph above, where do you run the "make
configure-gdb" he speaks of? It does not seem to be a supported target.

Do "make configure-gdb" just after you do the configure. This is how I normally do it (when I do configure-gdb instead of all-gdb):

$ CFLAGS="-g" ../src/configure --prefix=/home/keiths/insight/HEAD/built
[snip]
$ make configure-gdb
[now you can check the configure log in gdb/]
$ make all-gdb

What version of insight are you trying to build, BTW. It might make a difference. [It might not, either. I remember fixing some build bugs a while ago...]

I've built Insight this way for almost two-three years now, and I've used the resulting executable for my daily work on archer, so it can be done.